Gaming Philsophy

Okay, I admit it. This class is a huge pedagogical experiment. I have no idea why the concept of gaming was so attractive both for me and for you, but somehow through the mechanisms of communication and the Universe, we chose to embark on this journey together. I do not believe there is any one right way to either teach this class or to pass it. It is not about a single “solution.” I am choosing NOT to be “the sage on the stage, but the guide at your side.” Or, as one of your fellow students put it – a coach. I want you to find your own access to the games, gaming and concepts that you want to explore. Then you need to find a way to share these with others in the classroom and/or on line in such a way that we can all share in “your” learning effect. Your choice of media and methods is part of this process and I will not dictate the rules. If you prefer high touch or high tech, you choose the means, the mechanisms and the games.

This, however, does not mean that I subscribe to a theory of relativism nor that I want you to follow that route. It means, though, that I want our discussions of truth and reality, right and wrong, and other moral concepts to go along a line where we can carefully evaluate the social components and relative weight of various priorities in our social conditions with our social conditioning. There must still be some room for safety, security, boundaries and other generally accepted values. Power and authority are key components in this, and I recognize and acknowledge my position as the teacher/instructor/professor in the classroom. You may be the experts on the game and/or your own life, but at the end of the day, I am the final arbiter of your grades, the debate and the game.

No comments: